Applying to the Physics Graduate Program
We welcome applications from students who have successfully completed a 4-year undergraduate degree in physics or closely related fields. International students who have gone through a 3-year undergraduate degree program need to have an MS degree to become eligible for admission.
Applications for admission for graduate study in physics have to be completed online. Go to the web site http://gradschool.missouri.edu/ and click on “Apply to Grad School” on the right-hand side. Your online application should include the following material (to be uploaded in electronic format):
- We are temporarily not requiring the Graduate Records Examination (GRE) because of COVID-19. During normal times we have required the general GRE for graduate admission but for this year we will consider applications without the GRE.
- For international applicants, the results of the TOEFL Test. The minimum total TOEFL scores for graduate admission into the MU Physics program are 550 (paper-based), 213 (computer-based) or 80 (internet-based). The IELTS test with a minimum score of 6.5 is an acceptable alternative to the TOEFL.
- A statement of purpose, in which you tell us a bit about yourself (e.g. your motivations, career goals, and research interests, and why you chose to apply at the University of Missouri).
- Three letters of recommendation.
- Your official transcripts.
- MU institutional code for GRE and TOEFL: 6875
- GRE department code: 0808
- TOEFL department code: 76
Prof. Suchi Guha
Department of Physics and Astronomy
223 Physics Building
University of Missouri
Columbia, MO 65211