BA in Physics
Candidates of the BA degree must complete 120 semester hours of credit with an average grade of C or better. Of these, at least 30 credit hours must be in physics and 19 credit hours in math and chemistry. The rest of the credit hours (up to 120) must be completed from general education courses.
Core requirements for the BA program
Required courses in the Physics Department
Physics 2800: Undergraduate Physics Seminar
Physics 2750, 2760: University Physics I & II
Physics 3150: Introduction to Modern Physics
Physics 4080: Major Themes in Classical Physics + 4 Physics Electives
Students have available a variety of courses from which they may select the rest of the required hours of physics electives for the BA degree. You may find a list of all physics and astronomy courses on the Undergrad Courses web page.
Basic Skills and General Education requirements
- English 1000 Exposition and Argumentation
- Two Writing Intensive (WI) courses, one in the major and one at 3000 level or above
- Foreign Language: 12-13 credit hours of a foreign language (this requirement is satisfied if the student has 4 years of foreign language from HS).
- Behavioral Sciences: 6 hours in behavioral sciences, with at least one course at the 2000 or above level.
- Social Sciences: 9 hours in social sciences, with at least one course at the 2000 or above level.
- History or Political Science course that satisfies the government requirement.
- Humanities and Fine Arts: 12 hours in humanistic studies and fine arts, with at least one course at the 2000 or above level.
Here is a link to a webpage that allows you to search for different general education courses available at MU : Search for a General Education Course.